Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /services/webpages/c/o/cozumel-hotels.net/public/yabbse/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Spearfishing with Leo
HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2017, 12:53:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
57263 Posts in 8706 Topics by 3004 Members
Latest Member: canditobandito

Popular Cozumel Hotels

+  My Community
|-+  My Cozumel Community
| |-+  Fishing Trips
| | |-+  Spearfishing with Leo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Spearfishing with Leo  (Read 21161 times)
SaschaMac

Cozumel Bound 3/10- 3/16!

View Profile Email
« on: February 13, 2010, 11:30:24 PM »

Booking a spearfishing trip for half a day with Leo from spearfishingtoday.com.  Any first hand experiences, advice or pictures? 
Thanks!   Wink
Rechard
YaBB God

When I snap. . . .You'll be the first to go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »

I have never used him . I did find that site awhile back though. Did you look at the pictures?
Have you spearfished in the past? Does the phrase Stone-em mean anything special to you?
 I had to go back and see again , if he was shooting free shafts and he isn't and that at least means you wont be buying a bunch a shafts $$$  Those shafts are expensive$$$ When I plan a trip to SW Florida to see my brother who is a Very Avid Spear fisherman I am on occasion asked to make the trip to Palatine IL. to pick up new shafts for he and some of his buddies. One of the biggest and most favorite manufacturers of Custom spear-guns and shafts is 20 minutes from my house ..Go Figure and as you see I am outside Chicago hahahaa
 Please post again after your trip and show us how you did and tell us about it as well.
 Good Luck Good Hunting ...........and Stone-em Dude : 
SaschaMac

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »

Hi Rechard!

Yes, I checked out the pictures from his site.  Pretty amazing and a little daunting!  I am actually hunting some reassurance from you folks!  I have never spearfished before, nor has my husband whom I bought the surprise trip for!  I sprung it on him Sunday night (our 5 year anniv) and he was bug-eyed at the pics and video.  He loves fishing-- in a very different way-- mainly surfishing.

If you look at the videos, it's hard to imagine a person holding their breath to stay under that long!

I plan to snorkel and just reap the rewards of what is caught.  Leo will says he can recommend which restaurants will grill up your prized winnings!  I hope I don't get speared while observing fishies aroung the coral!!!   Lips sealed

Here are the details Leo sent me (if you're curious):
Spearfishing by boat
2 persons
Semi private trip
Departure 9am
I pick you up by boat from the pier Aqua Safari on Cozumel. This is right across McDonalds/Aqua Safari/your hotel in town.
Fruit and softdrinks/water included.
Incl use of gun, weights and spearfishing permit (I send our ID's ahead and he gets the permit)
You bring your own snorkelgear (fins/mask/snorkel)
250usd
WeŽll be back between 1 and 2pm
DonŽt forget sunblock. A towel and a rash guard might be handy as well

I will be sure to post a full report when we return!  Hopefully hubby can stone 'em!!!   Wink

Rechard
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »

I'll bet your husband would sure like to use my 40" free-dive fins for this adventure.
 Breath hold very cool .... and very rigorous..
 Shoot small till you get the hang of it all.  Lots of new things to get the hang of ...
I am sure Leo is there to make this a good time ......a dang good time....
They ( my brother and his group of buds that I call desperate divers ) use special little "lift balloons" for big nasty fish.  Attached to the guns.
A 30 lb fish underwater can make you look like you were in a fist fight with two Gorillas in a phone booth..if you dont stone-em.  They dont string-em through the gills either,  thats pretty much as no-no as I have been lead to understand, for safety reasons but each to his own..
Post pictures and a report when you get back please..... Kiss
mnsteve

So, I've got Coz to look forward to

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »

Hola SaschaMac!

I remember BlueDiver mentioning spearfishing with Leo last February.
Look up his comments in Trip Reports / 2-12-2/21,
Maybe ole Blue will post some more about this.

SaschaMac

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »

Rechard-- you are correct, he would love to use those fins!  Send 'em on to Richmond!   Tongue

mnsteve-- I found the report, thanks!  He had great things to say....
"We did go Spearfishing twice and if anyone wants to try it I will recommend Leo 100%!! This guy is awesome and the experience is amazing. He took care of everything and went so far as to take us out a second day at no charge because he thought our first day wasn't good enough. Usually the customer makes that call. It is definitely on our list for next year."

I will post a full report with tons of pictures when we get back! Grin
Rechard
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 7, 2010, 01:35:25 AM »

Bluediver .....
#1.Unless I am wrong about this or unless your a natural Born Mexican? You cannot take crustaceans in Mexican waters !
 Not Lobster Not Crab Not Conch......
 Please correct me if I am wrong .....but please use a link to Mexican Maritime law please......or Q.Roo Fishing Regulations
#2. Again CMIIW But No One can take lobsters with use of any power actuated Spear-gun, correct?
#3. Did you eat what you shot? You ate a trunk fish?Huh? the other two are so small , there was nothing left to eat....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: